- Educational contexts will not improve until we demand professionalism of the field. That begins in teacher education. Set a high bar for faculty. Teacher education is not a place for career teachers to transition. It’s a career in and of itself with specific knowledge and skills separate from those demanded in K12 environments.
- Parenting is hard and no supports exist for doing it well. Everyone is not an expert on child development nor does everyone have access to an expert on child development. Unrealistic expectations abound and parents and kids struggle as a result.
- Every. Single. Person. is doing the best they can with what they have. Behavior is communication and serves a purpose so seek to understand rather than punish. Address the cause of the behavior rather than the behavior itself.
- Mistakes are unavoidable and necessary components of learning.
- Typical grading systems do not reflect learning. They’re more reflective of compliance with teacher preferences. If you give/get attendance points, drop a letter grade for late submission, or in any other way use grades to compel behavior, you are abusing the system. Grades are communication of mastery. That’s it. Not behavior.
- Meaningful inclusion means each and every learner is a valued member of the classroom and school community. Supports are in place in order to reach the high expectations set for each student. Fair is not always equal as we each need different supports for success.
- Every. Single. Family. Loves their child and is doing the absolute best they can with their specific realities. Empathy is foundational to effective teaching.
What do you know? Tell me!!